Skin is the largest organ of the body. It acts as a protective layer that covers the entire body. It protects us from germs and various toxins present in the environment. It is also responsible for various activities like temperature control and sense of touch. The skin may suffer from various disorders that can be countered and cured by the holistic medical science of Ayurveda, irrespective of the cause of the disease.
Skin disease - The Ayurvedic Approach
Ayurveda considers skin to be made up of six layers. As per Ayurvedic method of holistic healing, the layers of skin span from the topmost superficial layer and extend into the levels that are deep inside the human body. The Ayurvedic treatment of skin diseases is too prolonged, and that includes treatment from the inside, clubbed with the extrinsic treatment.
The basis of above approach is the Ayurvedic understanding that the cause of skin disease is tied deeply to Dhatus like blood, fat, muscles, etc. Ayurveda focuses on the treatment of the cause so that the disease is completely cured. This method of treatment takes time, so it takes a few weeks to get the results, but it results in a complete or holistic recovery.
Ayurveda believes an imbalance in Tridoshas (Pitta, Kapha and Vata) is the cause of any disease. This imbalance is caused by an unhealthy lifestyle or diet system that is against the Prakriti of an individual. This may result in the contamination of tissues, and thereby cause skin-diseases.
Ayurveda considers Pitta Dosha the primary cause of any skin disease. Pitta Dosha is represented by heat or fire, so the treatment includes restricting the activities or food that enhances fire or heat in the body. This involves curtailing the use of oily, fried, spicy, hot and acidic food items, along with minimizing the exposure to sun or heat.
The effective Ayurvedic herbs
Various herbs that can be effectively used to cure skin diseases are as follows
- Turmeric (Haldi) - It has blood purifying properties. It is used in the face packs along with honey, milk, and gram flour to keep skin healthy, glowing, and free from acne, pimples, and wrinkles.
- Sandalwood (Chandan) - Due to its antimicrobial properties, it is effective in killing germs, clearing acne blemishes, and in soothing any type of skin inflammation.
- Azadirachta Indica (Neem) - It is known to possess antifungal, antibacterial, and blood purifying property. It is effective in the treatment of psoriasis, itching, irritation and roughness of the skin, eczema, and acne.
- Flaxseed (Alsi) - It is used to cure eczema and psoriasis. Due to the presence of omega-3 in Flaxseed, it provides excellent anti-inflammatory properties.
- Saffron (Kesar) - It is used to enhance the skin glow and fairness, and also to treat pimples, dark circles, acne,
- Tulsi - It's used to cure itching, rashes, acne, insect bites, pimples, leucoderma, ringworm infections,
- Marigold - Marigold or Calendula have antibacterial and antiviral properties. It is used to cure acne, insect bites, dry skin, minor burns and cuts.
- Aloe Vera - The presence of auxin and gibberellin hormones in Aloe Vera gives it anti-inflammatory and wound healing properties. It is used to cure acne, eczema, and psoriasis.
Ayurveda is an effective way of treating a variety of skin conditions that include chronic skin diseases like psoriasis and eczema. This natural method of treatment helps not only incomplete and permanent recovery from a skin condition, but it also helps in keeping the skin healthy and glowing.
Muniyal Products :
Tablet TVAKSHUDDHI :
- Proved by scientific research studies for chronic skin diseases (varieties of skin problems), allergic rashes and non-healing ulcers.
- It is a herbomineral product having anti-inflammatory, immuno-modulatory activities.
- Indicated in Vitiligo, Leucoderma, Pruritus and infected chronic ulcers.
Tablet MUNIBEYOTIC :
- Possesses immunomodulatory, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties
- Supportive therapy in antibiotic resistance
- Increases the level of antibody-forming cells and also specially sensitized T Lymphocytes.
- Stimulates phagocytosis
MUNIHEAL OIL :
- Quickly heals fresh wounds
- Excellent for healing burn injuries
- Disinfects, cleanses and heals chronically infected ulcers
- Indicated in Sadyovrana, Dushtavrana, Nakhadanta, Kshatha, Nadivrana, Visphota, Dagdhavrana