Saffron is called as the golden spice of Ayurveda because of its properties. Saffron, also called as Kesar is a small herb which grows inside a purple flower in the autumn season. The stigma of the purple flower is in reddish orange color, and thus it is called saffron.
Saffron is also called Crocus Sativus, or Varnya Gana as per Ayurveda. It is used in very small quantities may be just .5 to 1 gram for a recipe. Even this small amount gives many effects on the human health. Saffron is generally taken in the form of strands or powder. The very common consumption method is with milk or honey. This herb holds so much importance, and it has no side effects at all.
Saffron as per Ayurveda
Saffron is important for human body due to its properties of improving Varnya (Skin), Kantida (Skin tone), Vrana Shodhana (Cleansing of wounds), and Doshtrayahara (Balancing of all Doshas). The Ayurveda tells that saffron helps in curing following things too -
- Hikka - hiccups
- Vami - vomiting
- Visha - Toxic substances in the body
- Drushtiroga - Eye sight problems
- Kurumi - Worm infestation etc.
Benefits of Saffron
- It is helpful in maintaining the body energy and thereby rejuvenating the body.
- Saffron also acts as a tonic for lungs. Only small amount of saffron improves the respiratory system of the body.
- Consumption of saffron on a regular basis helps in improving the weak eye sight.
- The saffron also helps in keeping your gums healthy. Saffron should be massaged on to your gums on regular intervals.
- The Golden spice also helps in improving and maintaining the digestive health of the body. It makes the liver strong.
- Saffron if taken regularly helps in keeping your cholesterol in control. It does not let the bad cholesterol increase in the body.
- Saffron is recommended for the insomniac patients. Saffron helps in keeping the mind calm and helps in getting good sleep.
- Saffron also cures the menstrual irregularities of women. It is also recommended for pregnant ladies for an easy labor.
- Saffron is anti inflammatory in nature, and hence it helps in purifying the blood.
- As the blood purifies, it also helps in treating skin problems like acne, dark circles and thereby it improves skin health as well.
- Saffron surprisingly has anti cancerous and anti tumor properties as well.
- Saffron helps in making your brain healthy. It helps in improving the health of Alzheimer patients.
- It also helps in curing impotency in men. These are some of the features of saffron.
Saffron is mainly grown in Southern Europe, Kashmir in India and Iran. Saffron possesses so many properties due to which it is very expensive. If you wish to keep yourself healthy throughout your life or even if you wish to cure some ailments, start consuming saffron daily. The best way to intake saffron is to mix it with milk. Saffron does not only cure the living being but also takes care of the new members of your family. So, Consume Saffron, Stay fit.