Rheumatoid Arthritis is a painful condition that involves severe pain in the joints. On an average, about 5 to 50 people out of 10,000 people are affected by this ailment. Ayurveda provides a natural and holistic approach towards curing this painful condition.
What is Rheumatoid Arthritis?
Arthritis means inflammation in the joints. An inflammation is a condition that may arise due to trauma or an infection. It involves pain, swelling, the rise in temperature, and redness in the affected area.
Rheumatoid Arthritis is an autoimmune disorder. Autoimmune disorders are the conditions where the immune system of the body attacks the body. In Rheumatoid Arthritis, the pain worsens after a period of rest, and it may lead to dysfunction due to the destruction of bones and cartilage, and ultimately the disfigurement of joints.
The causes and symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis
The cause of Rheumatoid Arthritis is a combination of environmental and genetic factors. The people with PTP N22 and HLA DRB1 genes are susceptible to the disease, but the environmental factors are also responsible for triggering the ailment. The various symptoms of Rheumatoid Arthritis include the following
- Pain, stiffness, warmth, redness, and swelling in joints
- The joints affected are feet, wrist, ankle, hand, jaws, knees, shoulders and hips. Since the disease affects multiple joints, it's known as Polyarthritis
- The stiffness in joints lasting for an hour or more in the morning hours
- Disfigurement of joints in chronic cases
- Rheumatoid Arthritis causes malaise, fever, loss of appetite and weight, fatigue and lower blood count
Rheumatoid Arthritis in Ayurveda
Ayurveda considers the Rheumatoid Arthritis as a condition known as Amavata. Ayurveda considers a healthy body to be made up of balanced energies or Doshas that are
Ama or toxins are the toxic substances that are accumulated in the body due to an imbalance of Doshas, especially the Vata Dosha, which is responsible for the elimination of toxic substances or Ama. The Ayurvedic treatment of Amavata or Rheumatoid Arthritis consists of the following
- Modification in diet to pacify the Doshas
- Stress management and alteration to the lifestyle
- Herbal medicines
- Pranayama, Yoga, and meditation
The Ayurvedic treatment
The Ayurvedic treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis or Amavata is multi-pronged and involves detoxifying therapies like Vasthi (Herbal enema), Nasyam (nasal administration of herbal medicines), Vamana (emesis), and Virechana (Purgation).
Vasthi is the most important aspect of treating Amavata or Rheumatoid Arthritis. It is preceded by a number of processes like Podikkizhi or massage, using herbal powders, Dhanymla Dhara or pouring the warm herbal concoctions, Ilakkizhi or a bolus of fresh herbs.
The above-mentioned therapy is customized as per the individual constitution or Prakriti of the patient. It is beneficial in relieving the inflammation and preventing the joint damage. These processes are followed by therapies such as Nhavarakkizhi or massages using bolus of rice boiled in herbal milk, Tailadhara or pouring herbal oils on various affected body parts and administering herbs like Amalaki, Bibhitaki, Haritaki, Guggulu, etc.
These therapies are helpful in promoting digestion, Ama elimination, flexibility, mobility, tissue strength and overall functionality of joints. The Ayurvedic treatment prevents the use of steroids and other harmful medicines. The Ayurvedic treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis is not only effective, but it's totally natural, safe and holistic.
- Munipayn: A safe and effective remedy for rheumatism and arthritis. Useful in inflammatory joint diseases reduces pain and stiffness.
- Munipayn oil: relieves pain and inflammation.
- Muniliv plus: according to Ayurveda one of the main nidaana (cause) for amavata is an accumulation of ama in different parts of the body and in such a condition by the use of this tablet helps in improving the digestion and metabolism.
- Muniprabhaa: which act as a uterine tonic and helps in expelling of the toxins from the system