Hair is an integral part of the physical appearance of a person. The health of hair not only shows how prompt you are in taking care of yourself, but it also signifies your overall fitness. The importance of healthy hair reflects on the fact that billions of dollars are being spent by companies on creating different kinds of hair care solutions.
Nowadays, there are an array of hair care tools available in the market, but many of those products are made of harmful chemicals that can have side effects. Ayurveda provides you an alternative that is a natural and holistic way of hair care.
Factors Affecting The Health Of Your Hair
There could be many factors that can lead to hair loss or poor health of your hair such as
- Physical factors like stress or lack of sleep
- Internal factors like imbalance in hormones, or Doshas
- Imbalance of body functions and poor organ health like a weak digestive system, liver health, etc.
- Medical conditions like anemia, hypothyroidism, etc.
The Ayurvedic approach to healthy hairs
Ayurveda is an ancient medicinal science that uses natural products or herbs found in nature. Ayurvedic treatment approach not only cures the sickness, but it also improves your overall health.
According to Ayurveda, the strength of metabolic fire or Agni deeply affects your health. The strength of Agni is directly related to the nourishment received by your body including your hair. Thus, Ayurveda focuses on balancing the strength of Agni by inducing good eating habits and lifestyle changes.
Ayurveda - Types of hair
On the basis of the predominant Doshas, hair can be of following types:
- The Vata type hair - These are thin and coarse in appearance, and could be curly or straight or a combination of both. The rate of hair growth is fast.
- The Pitta type hair - These are of moderate thickness, soft and straight.
- The Kapha type hair - These are thick, wavy, coarse, full and lustrous in appearance.
Ayurvedic hair care
The Ayurvedic hair care comprises of the following
(a) Changes in diet and food habits
- Ayurveda focuses on improving the strength of Agni, and thereby helping in culling the excess toxins or Ama, and increase the absorption of nutrients.
- Ayurveda considers hair to be the byproduct of Asthi Dhatu or bones. Thus, it suggests including vitamins like Vitamins B, C, D and K along with minerals like zinc, potassium, calcium, etc in your diet.
- The inclusion of healthy oils in your diets like ghee, coconut, olive, sesame or almond oils also helps.
- Addition of fruits and cooked vegetables to your diet is good.
- You could also intake dairy products for those who are lactose tolerant can get vitamins B5 and D and hair friendly proteins.
- Keeping the body hydrated by consuming sufficient quantities of water.
- Include spices like black pepper, turmeric, cumin, ginger as well as nuts and seeds such as pumpkin seeds, almond, walnut, etc.
(b) Changes in lifestyle
- Managing the stress by participating in de-stressing activities like meditation and exercising.
- Massaging the scalp using warm oils like sesame for Vata, coconut for Pitta and sunflower for Kapha type of hair.
- Regulating the bowel movement.
- Avoiding excess exposure to the sun. Excess sunlight may increase the Pitta levels and cause hair loss and be thinning
- Brushing the hair multiple times throughout the day to stimulate and increase the blood circulation can be very effective.
(c) Inclusion of herbs
The following herbs help in increasing the strength, color, vitality of your hair and keeps them healthy:
- Yesti Madhura
Ayurvedic treatment can be implemented in various ways to control hair thinning, hair loss and improving its overall health. Treatments are effective if followed precisely and on a daily basis.
Nasya Karma one of the Panchakarma treatment will help to overcome the problems related to hair.
Muniyal Products like :
PRASHANTH HAIR OIL :
Prevents premature graying of hair.
Prevents Alopecia & hair fall.
Cures insomnia, dandruff.
Keeps mind cool & alert throughout the day.
MUNAYANA KESHADI VATI :
Nourishes the hair.
Prevents hair damage.