The arrival of spring season signifies the beginning of new life, but for people suffering from allergies, it can prove to be a nightmare. Allergies are caused when the body’s immune system reacts to a foreign substance that is trying to enter the body. The immunity system produces antibodies to fight the invaders which cause allergy.
Symptoms of an allergy
Light allergies are usually harmless and can be controlled by taking anti-histamines. The onset of an allergy is categorized based on the following symptoms:
- Skin rashes or hives
- Blocked or running nose
- Uncontrollable sneezing
- Conjunctivitis (redness and swelling of the eyes)
In some worst cases, allergies can prove to be fatal if ignored and can send the individuals into anaphylactic shock.
Correlation between allergy and Ayurveda
An allergy can be triggered by various factors such as food, pollution, drugs, insect bites and plants. In Ayurveda, allergies are caused due to the malfunctioning of certain doshas.
- Vata (water & earth) - triggered by food allergies
- Pitta (water & fire) - triggered when allergens come in contact with skin (eczema)
- Kapha (air & space) - triggered by pollen grains, dust, and pollution
In Ayurveda, the main step in treating an allergy is to identify the dosha and its corresponding triggers. After the cause has been identified, medicine is recommended by the practitioner.
Ayurvedic treatment for Allergies
Following are the Ayurvedic treatments that are recommended for prevention and treatment of allergies.
- Triphala - it is a powerful combination of three fruits, used for balancing the three primary doshas. It works by strengthening the immune system and flushes out the toxins from the body. It can be consumed in the form of tablets, or as a powder with warm water.
- Tulsi - It is a sacred herb revered by the saints for its unique healing properties. It is used for the treatment of throat infection, cold, cough, and sinus, and
- Turmeric - It is a versatile herb, used for treating various maladies. Consuming turmeric with warm milk soothes the throat and cures bronchial asthma, which is caused due to the presence of a compound called ‘'
- Pepper - This hot and pungent spice has been in use since for centuries to treat common cold and cough. It can be consumed with warm milk or made into a spicy concoction. When consumed, it relieves the symptoms associated with allergy.
- Nasal cleansing - It is a ritual to clear the nasal passage for proper breathing, by flushing out the mucous, and to soothe the infected sinus glands. This is done using a netipot, Nasya or a saline rinse.
- Yoga - Practice pranayama, Surya Namaskar, and other yoga pose to open up the lungs and to boost the body’s immunity power.
- Healthy diets - Eliminate processed and junk food, and include more of organic vegetables, leafy greens, and fruits into your diet.
- Limit the hours spent in an air-conditioned room, and bask in the glory of the Sun, which is a reservoir of Vitamin-D, crucial for preventing allergies.
- Avoid foods and take precautionary measures to avoid circumstances that trigger your allergies or aggravate your symptoms.
By following the above-mentioned suggestions provided by Ayurveda, one can avoid the allergens that disturb the balances of doshas. The solution is to embrace the situation rather than fight against it. By doing this, we can maintain a life free from illness and suffering.
- Munistamine tab and cough syrup: Effective in disorders like allergic bronchitis, pharyngitis, bronchiolitis and whooping cough. Increases general resistance towards infections. act as a local antiseptic
- Munibeyotic tab: An ayurvedic antibiotic resistance. Possesses immunomodulatory, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Increases the level of antibody-forming cells and also specially sensitized T lymphocytes.
- Geriton Leha: For chronic respiratory problems.
- Hiranya praasha drops: A universal vitalize for all the ages. Administration of pure gold to infants helps in improving natural immunity and provides excellent protection against a variety of illness. Acts as an antioxidant.
- Mahoushadha granules: Body detoxifier