The meaning of Triphala is three fruits. Triphala is specifically a mixture of three fruits namely - Amalaki, Bibhitaki, and Haritaki. This formula is very popular in Ayurveda, because of its magical benefits.
Triphala is the source of detoxification and rejuvenation of our body. The basic reason why people take Triphala powder is to reduce the problems related to digestion. However, there are many other benefits of having Triphala.
The three components of Triphala
- The Amalkai is known as Emblica officinalis. This component helps in managing the pitta dosha of the body, hence supporting the normal functioning of the liver. This component is also responsible for maintaining the immunity of our body.
- The Bibhitaki is known as Terminalia Belerica. This component is beneficial for reducing the Kapha dosha from the body. This component helps in cleansing the respiratory system.
- The Haritaki is known as Terminalia Chebula. This component is beneficial for all the doshas of the body. This component helps in reducing the toxic substances from the body.
Uses of Triphala
Apart from helping with the digestion of food, Triphala can be used for treating various things as given below:
- Body tonic: Triphala acts as the body tonic, because it helps in cleansing the body from inside, and thus it makes us feel rejuvenated. It is widely used by people for the detox
- Beautiful hair: Triphala can be used for conditioning your hair. It should be mixed with water and boiled, and this water has to be used for rinsing hair. The hair texture will improve noticeably, day by day.
- Remedy for allergies: Since it is the mixture of three fruits, it can be used to treat any allergy occurring in the body. The components of Triphala are instrumental for treating the doshas, because of which allergies happen in the first place.
- Bone tonic: It does not allow toxic substances to remain inside your body, but it helps in absorbing the nutrition in the body. It helps the bones, nails, and hair to become stronger.
- Eye tonic: Triphala tea is helpful for eyes, and can be prepared by mixing triphala in water and boiling it for two minutes. Let this mixture cool down, then strain the Triphala tea twice or thrice, till all small particles get removed. You can wash your eyes by blinking your eyes in this Triphala water. Please do this under supervision, if you have never done this before.
- Healthy teeth: Though Triphala does not taste well, it can definitely be used for making your teeth healthy. It has a quality of removing germs from your teeth, gums, and tongue. So it is better to wash your mouth with Triphala powder or use Triphala toothpaste.
- Skin cleansing: It can be mixed with coconut oil and applied on the affected areas of the skin. Triphala helps in cleansing the skin, and also for curing the acne problems.
Triphala is really a magic formula, which can be used as a tonic for almost all treatments. Make sure that you use Triphala under proper guidance.